Sunday, May 5, 2013

A day at the zoo

I had to work yesterday, so today we headed to the zoo.  Thanks to Joe "Jose" Sikora, we have a family membership and can go to the zoo whenever we want!  

We started off by driving to the top of the mountain to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun monument.  It is a historic monument at the top of the Highway beyond the zoo.  The deck of the monument is 8,136 feet elevation and provides breathtaking views of Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak Region.  I think Kendall is beginning to realize her limits as the height seemed to bother her a little bit this time around.




What is a trip to the zoo without feeding the giraffes??  This is one of Kendall's favorites at the zoo.  She laughs and talks to the giraffes, but if they get too close she doesn't want any part of it!!








The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is one of the best of its kind in the nation, partly because it was built into the mountain and has scenic views from any exhibit.  As you weave around different paths, you encounter zebras, elephants, hippos, rhinos, tigers, bears, lions, monkeys, gorillas, chimps, meercats, wallabys, alligators, moose, leopards, and many many more!  We enjoy having our membership because we don't feel the need to have to see every exhibit when we go because we know that we'll be back soon.  We spent almost four hours there today and didn't even see half of the animals!  




Now as the night draws and I sit here and type, I think about how thankful I am to have such an amazing family.  How cute are they?